I hope that my child, looking back on today, will remember a mother who had time to play. Children grow up while you're not looking, and there are years ahead for cleaning and cooking. So, quiet now cobwebs, dust go to sleep. I'm with my baby, and babies don't keep.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Elizabeth was feeling left out because Patrick always reads chapter books to Isaac. So we decided we would try one with her and see how it went. I picked out Ramona the Pest. Patrick started reading it and we all LOVED it!! I read it when I was younger, but that was a long time ago. So, Elizabeths chapter book ended up being family reading time. Each night Patrick would read it aloud and everyone would sit quietly, sometimes with blankets and pillows, listening intently. In my opinion it is one of the greatest childrens books around. The kids could relate to it, and understood everything that was going on. Beverly Cleary writes from the point of view of  a child in kindergarten extremely well. The things she would have Ramona say and do are eactly the kind of things Isaac has done or I could see him doing at some point. Great book, funny little girl.  I even overheard Elizabeth playing school with Lucy and Cate and she was "Mrs Binney" - the kindergarten teacher from the book. We will definitely be going back to the library and getting the next Ramona book, to read. I think everyone should read this book at some point to their children, you wont regret it!

We had a pretty good week last week. Played with friends and had some good visits with grown up friends (kidless). I have been going to a monthly Crop with my MOPS friends. I love it. From 9 - 12 I have someone to watch my kids and I can do whatever I want. I have been working on photo albums, and this past Saturday I was working on a craft to hang the kids art up - I will have to post pictures when its done, it is really cute! I love that one morning a month I am able to spend a little time working on things that I really enjoy. I really like being crafty, it is just so hard to find the time to finish jobs!!

We also had two birthday parties this Saturday. Isaacs first party with his school friends, and a party with a boy from the neighborhood. It was so cute to see him with all his friends from school! They were all sweet kids and he had a blast. They went Lunar mini putting, so it was all glow in the dark stuff. A lot of fun. The second party was fun in a "wow, I cant believe someone didnt break a bone" kind of way. It was at a skating rink (roller skating). I have not been roller skating since I was 12 at Wheelies in Thunder Bay. The good news is - nothing has changed - it was like a time warp. But, my kids are TOO SMALL to roller skate. Patrick tried to skate with them, it was quite comical. Isaac would come barrelling at you, totally out of control, and smack into something to stop. Elizabeth could hardly take a step without her feet coming up from under her. The two little ones stayed in the stroller most of the time, except to come out to do a little dancing to the fun music. The kids loved it though (Patrick and I - not so much) and already want to go back. Which is funny, because they could hardly do anything but stand or sit. But, they all got free passes from the party, and Patrick is planning to bring them back this week. He is a really good dad! Because I dont think I would have the patience to do it again, until they are older. We had fun - because we were there doing it as a family, but not enough fun that I would pay to do it again.

Patrick has spring break next week, and we are really looking forward to this. He keeps talking about all the things he wants to get done around here. I am really looking froward to that. Trying not to get too excited about the "to do" list though, I know how things can get busy around here, and then plans change. But im optimistic we will get some big jobs done! I think we will get to do some fun things as a family while he is home too. Should be a good week!

I got the girls a few cute dresses from a consignment sale (half off too) so we took a couple pictures today after church.

 

2 comments:

  1. i too do not like roller skating with the kids. i seriously wonder how they've never broken a bone there either.

    hope your spring break went as planned. we are on ours now. lucy and elizabeth are sooo cute in that last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those girls are awfully cute. I am jealous that you all are reading chapter books. We tried with Alex and he really wanted pictures. It ended read quickly. It sounds like you are up to your usual Cain-ness. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete